Join our discord community

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumPrism: Feature RequestsList of feature ideas
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

List of feature ideas

PreviousPage 5 of 6Next

Yes unfortunately not many people have access to RV, which is a bummer because it's miles ahead of the other tools for the review workflow.

However I'd implement playlists in a way that it's usable for almost everyone. In RV I could integrate some custom UI directly into the RV UI, but for all other media apps I would create a separate Prism dialog. This dialog lets you select from all available playlists and displays all media sources in that playlist with a small preview. The media sources can be drag and dropped into other apps. So you can drop it in DJV, VLC, quicktime, Nuke, Premiere or any other app which supports that file format. That would make a review sessions a lot easier because it's very easy to switch between different versions. Playing all versions in sequence however without converting it to one file first would still be a problem because that's not supported by all media apps or it's only supported in an app specific way.

In terms of an RV alternative, there is a player called Keyframe Pro which is much, much cheaper than RV.  It does not have all of the functionality of RV (like applying LUTs), but it does have the Sources and Timelines function of RV.  It also has a paint-over function (like RV), so giving retakes or feedback is easy.

I bought several licenses for my little studio and the artists use it everyday.  The paid version also has audio-scrubbing (which not many players have), and is great for animators.

http://zurbrigg.com/keyframe-pro

I also believe that Keyframe Pro supports many different video codecs, so it would be easy to implement into an existing pipeline.

Hello ,Richard, may be good feature is set JOB (not only PRISM_JOB) variable for houdini in to project path when savescena or change project. Or button on shelf for set JOB.

code: https://pastebin.com/YBebUaQB

Is there any advantage of using $JOB over $PRISMJOB?

If it's just personal preference, people can create a Prism plugin easily which sets variables when the Prism project changes.

Hello Richard,

I was reading the list and saw that there was a couple of things that you have done the you could cross on your list.

In order to save you some time here is what seems to be done :

• [0035] Project specific resolution override options
  • [0037] Edit comments on existing scenefiles
  • [0039] Create new external tasks/versions by drag&drop media files in the Project Browser
  • [0071] Auto sync latest version

Thanks again for the insane amount of work that you put into Prism 🙂

Hey, thanks for everything you do Richard. My team really appreciates it.

I made a list of some things that I would love to see in a future version at some point. The four with (*) being my most wanted features.

Hooks:

• *Add preSave and preSaveWithComment hooks
  • *Add postSave and postSaveWithComment hooks
  • Add ability to or document how to call arguments without actually importing/exporting for writing and testing code.

preExport/postExport hooks:

• *Add argument that is an array of the objects to be exported in Maya. Or perhaps an argument that is the name of the export set that can then be called
  • Add argument for what DCC app is running the export

State Manager:

• *Show the asset preview image somewhere in the import task window when an asset is clicked on or hovered over
  • Add ability to remove references from imported .ma files and import the assets directly into the scene instead of having to delete the import in the state manager and re-import the asset with 'import objects only' checked
  • Add ability to resize the 'rendering presets' window and have the settings box follow the size change

Project Browser:

• Add ability to resize assets box horizonatally
  • Add 'open texture folder' button when right clicking an asset in the asset window to the 'texturefolderexample' plugin and have it go to that asset's texture folder
  • Hide Project Browser when taking an asset preview screenshot just like when clicking 'change preview' in the 'save with comment' window
  • Show enlarged asset preview image when double clicking the image
  • Add f5 shortcut to refresh
  • Add option to view the full path for the recent projects list in the Options/Recent projects tab instead of just the project name
  • Add ability to clear recent projects list
  • Add file size tab to the files viewer box

Hey @mortensm,

sorry for the late reply, but maybe you noticed in the last few version I already added a few of your ideas.

For v1.3.0.48 I improved the hook system so that you are not limited to the 8 hooks, which existed in previous versions. Now you can create hook files, which names match Prism callbacks, which are used by plugins. This add many new options for new hooks. I just need to document all of the available callbacks at some point. Hooks are almost as powerful as plugins now and very easy to set up.

I also added two more hook examples: "preSaveScene" and "postSaveScene". From the arguments you can check if there is a comment set for the file and trigger different code if you need a "preSaveWithComment" behavior.

Old hooks might not be working anymore. Better check the example hooks how to get the right info from the arguments.

Add ability to or document how to call arguments without actually importing/exporting for writing and testing code.

To call a hook without actually having to export something you can execute this in the Maya script editor:

pcore.callback("preExport", startframe=5)

But obviously you have to specify all the attributes yourself, which you want to use in the hook function.

*Add argument that is an array of the objects to be exported in Maya. Or perhaps an argument that is the name of the export set that can then be called

the export hooks have now a state argument, which gives you access to the export state which you can see in the state manager. You can get the objects to be exported like this:

kwargs["state"].nodes

Add argument for what DCC app is running the export

You can do that like this:

kwargs["core"].appPlugin.pluginName

Add ability to remove references from imported .ma files and import the assets directly into the scene instead of having to delete the import in the state manager and re-import the asset with 'import objects only' checked

There is an option to import references when exporting to an .ma or .mb file. But that's imported only during the export and afterwards the previous state will be restored. I guess you want to import it permanently?

Add ability to resize the 'rendering presets' window and have the settings box follow the size change

Add f5 shortcut to refresh

Both are added in a recent version.

Add option to view the full path for the recent projects list in the Options/Recent projects tab instead of just the project name

I added the full path as a tooltip now. However for some reason it work in all DCCs except in Maya. Haven't found out yet why it's like that.

All other ideas are added to the list on the first page.

Thanks a lot for this list of feedback. It's really helpful.

@valdomenhirfx Thanks for the tips which ideas are already done. I marked them all as done except [071] because that's still not done (unless I missed something)

Thanks a ton for everything, especially the hooks! Because we are using Prism for our pipeline, I have an excuse to actually sitting down and take the time to learn Python, so thanks for that. 🙂

Add ability to remove references from imported .ma files and import the assets directly into the scene instead of having to delete the import in the state manager and re-import the asset with 'import objects only' checked

There is an option to import references when exporting to an .ma or .mb file. But that's imported only during the export and afterwards the previous state will be restored. I guess you want to import it permanently?

Sorry if my wording was confusing. I just wanted to be able click on a an import in the state manager, and be able to change the way it was imported into the scene. Essentially, click a button, and the create reference dialog would pop up and allow me to change an already imported file. Let's say I have a .ma file and I want to import it into a scene. I go through the steps to via the state manager, and I import it as a reference. Then later on, I decide I want to change it so that the actual object is imported, not just a reference. Right now, I have to go to the state manager, delete the imported object in there, then go through the process of importing it again, but this time selecting 'import objects only'.

Makes sense. I added it as [0132] to the list.

State manager submission to Deadline. Along with pools in general already suggested, can we get separate frames per task and pool controls for the RS Archive job and the render job itself? Same as the deadline ROP that has 'Job Options' and 'Redshift Export'. Not all of the machines on our farm are able to make the archive files, and it's often much faster to generate the archive files as you would a simulation job that bundles all the frames into a single task.

PreviousPage 5 of 6Next