Join our discord community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Single Exr Maya & Asset search /query field

Hi Richard,

Iam new to prism and i have been trying to incorporate it in my new existing work flow which is based on merged AOV's in maya arnold but as of now the render publish is creating separate AOV's due to the override and creation of passes driver and the publish scripts resets the merged AOV's option again if switched ON manually.

it would be great if the file just follows the settings in maya globals.

and as we are trying to publish a lot of props / assets the list is getting huge would it be possible to add a search field on assets and shots fields.

Thanks

Hey,

multichannel exrs are something I want to implement into the next bigger update. I'd like to give the artist the option to enable or disable it. So it's on the to do list, but it won't be available immediately. However, if you now a little bit python, you can disable this if-condition in your Prism installation:

https://github.com/RichardFrangenberg/Prism/blob/7486f962f837081e06dc323eb8ed514b85e2c5cf/Prism/Plugins/Apps/Maya/Scripts/Prism_Maya_Functions.py#L1053

Then Prism will not modify your Arnold AOV settings and you could write out merged AOVs.

Quote from punitgirdhar on 5. September 2019, 22:02

and as we are trying to publish a lot of props / assets the list is getting huge would it be possible to add a search field on assets and shots fields.

That's already in the current development version. If you are using the current Prism version from the downloads page, you have to update your version in the Prism Settings dialog to get the development version and this feature: https://prism-pipeline.com/forum/topic/search-asset-shot/

Hey, i think have been using the latest release and am able to find the release you mentioned above. Pic attached and is the search option also available in the import dialogue?

I have seen a lot of posts asking about versioning, would it be possible to give the user a little more flexibility by asking them at the time of publish it they want to overwrite or version up as being a lighter if there is a minor change in animated reference file it unnecessarily creates a new file version when i submit the render

Thanks for the support.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Hi,

I tried to disable the line of code that you said earlier after that when reloaded prism the maya shelf was not working and gave me the following attached error.

Uploaded files:

To check your current Prism version you can select Help->About... in the Project Browser menu bar. I don't create a new release for every bugfix or small feature addition. Sometimes it takes a while before there are enough changes, which are worth a new release. To get the latest development state of the Prism code you can go to the Prism repository and download the latest development branch from the big green button. But I think it's easier to let Prism update automatically by using the "Update Prism" button in the Prism Settings dialog. The current development version is v1.2.1.15.

Quote from punitgirdhar on 6. September 2019, 8:29

... is the search option also available in the import dialogue?

Not yet. But that's a good point. I'll put it on the to do list.

Quote from punitgirdhar on 6. September 2019, 8:29

I have seen a lot of posts asking about versioning, would it be possible to give the user a little more flexibility by asking them at the time of publish it they want to overwrite or version up as being a lighter if there is a minor change in animated reference file it unnecessarily creates a new file version when i submit the render

If you right click on your export or imagerender state you can select to execute them as the previous version, which will overwrite potential existing files. Is that sufficient for your needs?

Quote from punitgirdhar on 6. September 2019, 10:21

I tried to disable the line of code that you said earlier after that when reloaded prism the maya shelf was not working and gave me the following attached error.

When you simply disable this one line, the syntax of the file becomes incorrect. The easiest way to make sure that part gets ignored would be to replace that line with:

if False:

But make sure the indentations match the ones of the original if condition.

Hi, the replaced code is helping me get the merged EXR.

There have been few concerns that i wanted to point out

1. Iam working on a Episodic pipeline in which there is episode/sequence/shots. which obviously will call all the assets from a common place so to do this i have a made an work around which is attached in the pic attached (Episodics.PNG) In this i have named the sequence to episode name and the sequence and shot no. in the current  shot name but this now creates all the episode shots in a single shots folder (Episode.PNG).
  2. The maya file that i work on consists of 3 main layers BG, Char, Shd. to save render time on static BG. current pipe is very helpful to launch all the layers with different frame ranges but when i render the files for render it publishes the file to a new version even it is for a first time (this is why i had asked if an overwrite option could be there)  and to keep all the renders of this publish in one folder i have given the taks name r001 (revision for me) in both the layer render jobs but inside r001 it renders both the layers in different versions i.e. v001_comment,v002_comment and so on and it would publish files as per the number of layers or jobs.
  3. It would have been nice that it maintained the naming and folder structure mentioned in render globals to manage the renders output and publish the render image state once for a single job. (again it would be helpful to give user a option to overwrite or advance version for backup) (RenderLayer.PNG).

I hope i explained myself, if you could suggest a work around or if you can incorporate these changes if they are helpful for the masses as it is a common platform for all...

Thanks

Punit Girdhar

Uploaded files:
  1. That was requested a few times recently, for example here: https://prism-pipeline.com/forum/topic/sequences-in-episodes/ I'd like to implement that into Prism, but it's quite a bit of work and I don't know when exactly I'll have the time for that.
  2. It's a limitation of the ImageRender state, that it can render only one renderlayer at the time. The reason for that is that the renderlayers are not recognized in the current folder structure, which Prism expects. The current folder structure for renderings looks always like this: <shotname>\Rendering\3dRender\<taskname>\<version>_<comment>\<AOV>\filename. If both of your ImageRender states would render into the same version, they would overwrite each other, because the renderlayer has no effect at the outputpath. If I would add a renderlayer token to the outputpath, I would also need to change the UI of the Project Browser so that you can select different renderlayers. Also I'd need to think about how the UI will work in cases where you don't have renderlayers or the renderings come from a different application. It's not impossible, but it's a bigger task. At the moment the best workaround in my opinion would be to put the renderlayernames in the taskname. So you would get: ChutkiBaba-01-01\Rendering\3dRender\BG\v0001_tst\beauty\filename and ChutkiBaba-01-01\Rendering\3dRender\Char\v0001_tst\beauty\filename
  3. All the Prism tools expect a predefined folder structure. If you would define a different structure in your rendersettings for every scene, the Project Browser wouldn't know how to display your renderings in the UI. If the artists could alter the outputpath in the rendersettings I guess it would result in more problems. Instead I'll try to find a way to add the renderlayers to the Prism structure. One possible way could be to use the <comment> for that. So that you would get v0001-BG and v0001-Char in the same taskname. But yeah, that's something, which needs to be done.

I think your ideas are relevant to many other people, thanks for pointing them out. I'm open to discuss any ideas and suggestions regarding this topic.

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried it earlier when i didnt knew about the overwrite on the same version i can put the revision in file comment but that would also give a lot of increased revisions in <taskname> folders (i.e. BG, CHAR) in case of any retakes or the work around would be to increase the versions. Thats why i had an  opinion of having the increment at the taskname stage to maintain hierarchy.

I had an query if some code can be changed that the name of the output can be:

ChutkiBaba-01-01\Rendering\3dRender\Char\v0001_r001\beauty\<taskname>.####.exr

rest i would be waiting for the further updates. Thanks for the awesome work.

Thanks