Join our discord community

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumPrism: Feature Requestsdavinci Resolve
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

davinci Resolve

Page 1 of 2Next

This is more a question: 'Does this makes sense to you' than an actual feature request. I would like to see Resolve supported by Prism.

Let's say you have an animatic with storyboard frames with specific naming(like sh0010... e.g.) for the sake of simplicity boiled down to one track.

Prism would create the foldersย  and (empty) scenes with the correct ranges as a starting point for the 3D-layout. You'd then playblast/render your layout/animation/render/compositing to new video tracks sitting above the original STB-layer in Resolve?

Does this make sense to you?

Yes that makes sense, but just to be sure, you mean you would do the edit of the movie in Resolve with the storyboardframes and based on that edit Prism would create shots and scenefiles, which generate playblasts, which will be imported in Resolve over their storyboard tracks?

That would be very nice to have. It would bring Prism much closer to a start to finish solution. There are some things to consider though like naming conventions for sequences/shots, updating ranges, omitting shots, which steps/categories should be created for each shot, which DCC scenefiles will be used?

It would be nice to have procedural control over this for example with PDG. On the other hand it should be easy to use and to set up.

I hope to start with the Resolve integration very soon ๐Ÿ™‚

My sugestion for that would be to add all the sequence and shot-name information in the shots metadata, export an XML and create an XML importer for Prism.
I think you can add custom metadata, so that way you could add your steps/categories if wanted and so on.

Resolve have gotten some new scripting posibilities that is nice to have, so maybe a direct route could be done, but just having an xml importer for Prism is super great that also ๐Ÿ™‚

Quote from RichardF on 17. November 2020, 13:45

Yes that makes sense, but just to be sure, you mean you would do the edit of the movie in Resolve with the storyboardframes and based on that edit Prism would create shots and scenefiles, which generate playblasts, which will be imported in Resolve over their storyboard tracks?

Yes. Absolutely. After Layout Prism would put Animation on top of the Layout-track, then lighting and so on.

That would be very nice to have. It would bring Prism much closer to a start to finish solution. There are some things to consider though like naming conventions for sequences/shots, updating ranges, omitting shots, which steps/categories should be created for each shot, which DCC scenefiles will be used?

It would be Maya. The steps would be STB(base), layout, animation, maybe FX, lighting, compositing

It would be nice to have procedural control over this for example with PDG. On the other hand it should be easy to use and to set up.

I'm a dummy. What is PDG?

I hope to start with the Resolve integration very soon ?

That would be so cool!

Thanks a lot Richard for your great work! It's incredibly appreciated here!

I second the request of the DaVinci Resolve integration to have a start to finish solution. It would be very beneficial to have an always up-to-date version of the entire movie inside of Resolve.

Looking forward to seeing this feature coming!

Would like to add my +1 to this feature request. Many jobs for us start with an edit, published into various EXR sequences for shot sources. Nuke Studio is something to look at for how it handles this.

Are there any news regarding the integration of Resolve?

+1

quite annoying that davinci is using a database instead of single files, otherwise it would be possible to just create a simple "plugin" to track the files at least...

hope some day davinci will be integrated

thanks in advanced and in general for this amazing tool! using it everyday for all of my projects! (Houdini / Blender / Nuke)

cheers philipp

There is a thing called OpenTimelineIO, and I'm pretty sure it's gonna get some adoption in a near future. AFAik, it's an intermediate format (well, xml and edl too in a sense), and ine day you will be able to "alembic" your shit around different NLE ๐Ÿ˜‰ Not really, but at least to move your edits down the pipeline

https://opentimelineio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

+1 This would be a great feature. I'd much rather use Resolve than Nuke Studio if Prism can add similar functionality.

Page 1 of 2Next