Join our discord community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Coverting to mp4 reduces quality

Hi Richard,

I don't know if this should be considered a bug, so I'm posting this in general. When converting a jpg image sequence to mp4 there is a quality reduction. So when it is uploaded to shotgun for review purposes, due to shotgun quality reduction theĀ  video looks really pixelated. So is there a way to control the quality reduction for image sequences when converted to mp4. Or is it possible to convert it into any other formats like an mov or something.

Also when we publish to shotgun without selecting upload proxy video it gets uploaded only as a thumbnail. It would be really helpful if we could upload without selecting upload proxy video cause then there is no mp4 conversion and the source file quality is intact

Thank you for your time

Hey Heller39,

I'm aware that the quality of the converted videos is often not good enough. It's already in the feature ideas list: [0092] So probably in a future update I'll provide some control over the quality and also change the default quality.

Quote from Heller39 on 8. November 2019, 12:17

Also when we publish to shotgun without selecting upload proxy video it gets uploaded only as a thumbnail. It would be really helpful if we could upload without selecting upload proxy video cause then there is no mp4 conversion and the source file quality is intact

Sorry, It's not really clear to me what you mean by that. Do you want to upload a jpeg sequence to shotgun without converting it to a video first?

Quote from RichardF on 11. November 2019, 12:53

Do you want to upload a jpeg sequence to shotgun without converting it to a video first?

Some thing like that, yes. When I upload a image or mov file with "upload proxy video" in "publish to shotgun" options turned off, I only get a thumbnail on which I cannot annotate or open it. I've attached image examples of how it looks in shotgun. Hope this makes sense

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Hi Heller39,

Here's an adapted version of PrismCore.py that has ffmpeg use a constant rate factor of 18 instead of the default 23, resulting in mp4 files that have a much higher visual quality, but also significantly larger file sizes (roughly 5 times larger).

The changed lines are 3315, 3318 and 3324 (setting 18 as the default CRF value and adding the -crf flag to the ffmpeg options)

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

@heller39 I added this to the feature request list: [0117]

@gkocov Thanks for these changes in the PrismCore script. I will use them when I update the media conversion functions.