Join our discord community

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumPrism: GeneralWorking with network projects
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Working with network projects

Hello!
I'm testing Prism for a week. Nice tool BTW.

But i've noticed a strange thing: when I set up project root on network e.g. \\diskstation\projects\myProject,
i've lost the ability to open files with an associated program (maya etc) by double clicking in Project Browser window:

"Could not open the scenefile. Possibly there is no application connected to .ma files on your computer." etc

I'm on Windows 10, shared project lies on linux machine.
Quick dive into scripts pointed me to this string in ProjectBrowser.py:

if not fileStarted:
try:
if platform.system() == "Windows":
os.startfile(filepath)

I an fix the bug with opening files with associated programs by replacing the backward and forward slashes:

if not fileStarted:
try:
if platform.system() == "Windows":
filepath = filepath.replace("/","\\")
os.startfile(filepath)

Is that a correct and only way to use UNC projects with Prism?
Why I can't store project path in preferences with FORWARD slashes?

Yes your solution is absolutely valid. I also just fixed it so when you update your Prism scripts it will work fine.

Some tools, which interact with Prism require forward slashes and some require backward slashes. For example Houdini nodes usually accept paths with forward slashes only. When Prism want to use the same path in a windows command line command, it needs to be converted to backward slashes. So it doesn't really matter with which slashes it is stored in the preferences, Prism needs to check the slashes every time depending on the intended use before actually using them.