Join our discord community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Prism 1.3 installation problem

Page 1 of 2Next

Hi,

My Prism 1.2 was asking to download and install v1.3. However the 1.3 installer script returns error, saying that I don't have PySide:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Scripts/PrismInstaller.py", line 83, in <module>
import PrismInstaller_ui
File "Scripts/UserInterfacesPrism/PrismInstaller_ui.py", line 10, in <module>
from PySide import QtCore, QtGui
ImportError: No module named PySide
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Scripts/PrismCore.py", line 101, in <module>
from PySide.QtCore import *
ImportError: No module named PySide.QtCore

Which would be weird as I had a running Prism 1.2. Unfortuantely after starting the 1.3 installer, my Prism 1.2 also stooped working, saying:

The version of the currently installed Prism libraries (v1.2.0.0) doesn't match the required version of the latest Prism version (v1.3.0.0). Please download the latest installer from the Prism website to update the Prism libraries.

I'm on Ubuntu 20.04. Please help!

Lukas

Hey Lukas,

The PySide2 module included in Prism for Linux works only under Python 2.7. If you are a different python version on Ubuntu 20 then it would cause this error. As a solution you can install PySide2 to your system with this terminal command:

sudo apt-get install pyside2-tools
https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/20.04/ubuntu-universe-arm64/pyside2-tools_5.14.0-1~exp1ubuntu5_arm64.deb.html

Prism v1.2 does still work. This message just means that you cannot update to v1.3 without downloading the new libraries from the Prism downloads website.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately it didn't help.

I have 2 versions of Python installed on my system 2.7.18 and 3.8.5

Lukas

Which version starts when you type "python" in the terminal?

"python" command starts the 2.7 version.

Would it be possible to create appImage release of Prism? Then no installation would be needed and no dependencies problem.

Sounds like a problem with PySide2 on Ubuntu 20. I don't have Ubuntu 20 installed at the moment, but maybe you can find a guide on google how to setup PySide2 on Ubuntu 20 (unrelated to Prism).

You should be able to type this in the terminal without error:

python
from PySide2 import QtCore

When this works Prism will work too.

I can take a look at an appImage release, but probably it won't be available very soon.

Hi,

The command you wrote works fine when executed in python 3, but it doesn't work in python 2. So it seems the PySide2 is being installed only for python 3 in the system. I'll try finding a solution.

Lukas

OK, so I found the problem.

Apparently PySide2 has dropped official support for Python 2, and in order to have it working in Python 2, I would have to compile it by myself.

What I could do, is to set Python 3 as default - called by "python" command - and then I was able to install Prism, and I can open Settings, but Prism itself doesn't start at all.

Lukas

UPDATE:

It seems Prism started to work after system restart. So it's now working on Python 3 and PySide2. We'll see how it goes.

Lukas

That's great to hear. I haven't tested it myself on Linux with Python 3, so I'm interested to hear if you encounter any issues.

Page 1 of 2Next