Join our discord community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Prisim | Unreal Engine

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

Yeah I think the alembic streaming feature will be a massive bonus as when you’re working with tons of animation it’s a much cleaner workflow in the unreal sequencer as opposed to importing heaps of FBX files which can turn sequencer into an eye sore pretty quickly.

Hopefully USD would allow for round tripping but as I mentioned I can’t seem to load a usd created in unreal in other dcc’s. Probably user error though 🙂

So yeah if anyone knows how to export a useful usd file from unreal...

I managed to write out some usd files from Unreal with some xforms, lights and cameras. However it looks like it doesn't support exporting geometry. It is mentioned in the documentation so maybe there is a way, but even by looking at the code I didn't find a way to do it so far.

Also in 4.26 the default python version is 3.7 and some of the usd scripts are not working with Python 3.7. So to use some functions you either have to modify the Unreal USD python scripts or switch to Python 2.7

Is there any update on this?

No update from my side at the moment.

Hey Richard, you have done a great job on prism! It works seamlessly and is a joy to use! For UE4 might I suggest you apply for and epic grant, surely this would receive one!

Epic MegaGrants - Unreal Engine

I already applied and I'm in contact with them 😉

The problem with unreal is that it is an entire pipeline in one app and everything needs to be a .uasset. Also there is no standalone uasset conversion tool.

i think it may be more productive to focus on first class interfacing with usd for obvious reasons. Nvidia has released a whole bunch of free usd tools and a windows precompiled binary installer etc and unreal can read usd quite well. The UE stage manager tool is a bit lacking however...

The Prism Unreal integration would ideally also work without USD for studios, which prefer to use alembic or obj. Luckily it seems Unreal can be launched without GUI in the command line, which would allow for some automation.

Hi Richard,

first of all, this is all awesome and I salute you for making this public.

I have a bit of an unconventional feature request:

If possible, could you look into getting Pandora to work with Unreal? So basically getting a sequence to render on a server farm?

I am working in virtual production and we are rendering out long movie sequences out of Unreal. Sometimes as a backup and sometimes we create them on-set on request, especially for simulated travel where not much parallax is needed.

Since these sequences can go into the thousands of frames, it still makes sense to have them rendered on a farm, either split up or at least be able to send one movie to one machine and then send the next one to a different machine.

Since many unreal projects rely on Perforce to sync the data, Switchboard could be used to automatically sync the files beforehand, not sure if there is another method to deploy and pack the job and submit it to other machines.

In any case, it would be a super helpful addition to the already amazing package you created!

Cheers,

Markus

Hey @monocrmd,

at the moment I'm focussing more on Prism than on Pandora. But I see your point that it would be very useful to have Unreal supported in Pandora. I'll keep it in mind when there is a bit more time to spend on the Pandora development.

Cheers,

Richard

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next