Join our discord community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Maya creates folders in project root automatically

Hi,

Not sure if this counts as a bug, but at least it's an undisered behaviour from maya 🙂

Folders keep appearing in the project folder which looks suspiciously like default maya project folders (also workspace.mel). And as Prism sets the maya project (which is great) it might cause Maya to create folders it cant find...

I did a bit of investigating, and seems like we arenot the only one experiencing this. This is taken from CGTalk, maybe it could be of help:

However i have looked in the scripts folders and found a createProjectDefaults.mel … made a copy to my scripts folder and commented the following lines

// if( !$foundMayaAscii ) {
// workspace -fr “mayaAscii” “scenes”;
// workspace -dir workspace -q -rootDirectory;
// workspace -cr “scenes”;
// }
// if( !$foundMayaBinary ) {
// workspace -fr “mayaBinary” “scenes”;
// workspace -cr “scenes”;
// }
// if( !$foundTemplates ) {
// workspace -fr “templates” “assets”;
// workspace -cr “assets”;
// }

// Only save the workspace if we added something. We don't want to
// trigger unnecessary workspace changed messages if everything
// was fine.
//
if( !$foundMayaAscii || !$foundMayaBinary || !$foundTemplates ) {
	workspace -dir $curDir;
	workspace -s;
}

}

This prevents maya from creating assets/scenes folders when i change the project folder.

If you want to get rid of the workspace.mel as well you might want to comment the last code lines as well though you will loose any other folders that you might have set up for the current project as mduvekot mentioned above.

Yeah I also experienced some additional Maya folders in the past. I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to let Prism make that change by default, but it's good to know how to disable these folder manually. Thanks for sharing.

this sounds like a feature to me. ? I'm creating sourceimages and few other folders manually. but unfortunately, this never happened to me.  any chance adding this "Bug" as a feature?

Are you creating these folders in the top level folder of your project @kasunmalinda? Would it solve your problem if you could save folder structures as a presets for projects in Prism? I'd rather not rely on Maya too much for this.