Join our discord community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Houdini: Crash when opening file

Hi,

I'm in Houdini 18.0.532, Linux Mint.

I start the Project Browser, go to the file I want and double click, Houdini starts and I get the following dialog box:

The frame range of the current scene doesn't match the frame range of the shot:

Frame range current scene :

1001-1100

Frame range of the shot Monkey-0010:

1001-1050

Set shot range in the scene   OK

I can't click in either buttons, but I can move the dialog box or dismiss it by clicking the X on the upper right.

After dismissing the dialog box, I can go to Prism >Project Browser and we get the browser. Double click on the file and the same dialog box appears.

I can now click on either buttons, clicking on any of the buttons has the same effect: the dialog box disappears and the status line at the bottom of Houdini says that it successfully loaded the shot, but the scene is empty.

Any ideas?

By the way, my normal procedure is to load Houdini from the command line to get 3Delight to load properly, if I do that instead, I get a hard crash, below is the crash report.

Crash report from steven; Houdini FX Version 18.0.532 [linux-x86_64-gcc6.3]
Uptime 58 seconds
Sat Sep 26 12:17:46 2020
Caught signal 11

Traceback from 7788 ThreadId=0x7fde2dbf3c80
AP_Interface::coreDumpChaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
AP_Interface::si_CrashHandler::chaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
signalCallback(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUT.so>
UT_Signal::UT_ComboSignalHandler::operator()(int, siginfo_t*, void*) const <libHoudiniUT.so>
UT_Signal::processSignal(int, siginfo_t*, void*) <libHoudiniUT.so>
__funlockfile <libpthread.so.0>
UI_Queue::waitForGenerators(int) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Queue::waitForEvents() <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Queue::generateEvents(bool, bool) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Queue::eventLoop() <libHoudiniUI.so>
main <libHoudiniUI.so>
__libc_start_main (libc-start.c:310)
main <houdini-bin>

Quote from squinones on 26. September 2020, 18:26

I can now click on either buttons, clicking on any of the buttons has the same effect: the dialog box disappears and the status line at the bottom of Houdini says that it successfully loaded the shot, but the scene is empty.

Any ideas?

There is a problem with Houdini 18 and Prism when Prism dialogs are shown when you launch Houdini. This problem doesn't happen with 17.5. I'll take another look at it to see if there is anything on the Prism side which I can do to fix this.

For now the better way is to open Houdini with an empty scene and use the Prism tools from the Prism menu to open your scenefiles.

The crash report doesn't give much information unfortunately. It might not be related to Prism. Have you tried to remove the Prism Houdini integration to check if it might be caused by 3Delight or any other plugin?

The problem with the non-clickable dialogs is fixed now in v1.3.0.24