Join our discord community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

As a one-man-band, trying to use Prism instead of Shotgun

Great I found Prism, am I right to understand I can use it instead of Shotgun? I'm just starting my own one-man-band stuff, have never used shotgun or ftrack, both offer too much, stuff I do not need at all. Is Prism a replacement for a one-man-band? I don't need the review part, just manage my bug mess.

I'm running a small studio, and I started using Prism because of the same reasons . I didn't want to commit to Shotgun, as for the moment it is way to 'heavy' for what we need. Prism is great for project file management, and making sure that everyone in your team is working the same way. Prism doesn't have any planning features, for that we use trello and google spreadsheets.

As Magnus pointed out the main focus of Prism is on file and data management, like versioning you scenefiles, exporting objects into other scenes and creating renderings or playblasts. So you could see it as alternative to Shotgun toolkit. It's not a replacement for the project scheduling and tracking features of Shotgun. Actually Prism has a default plugin to work together with Shotgun in case you want to use Prism for file management and Shotgun for scheduling.

If you don't care about the review and scheduling parts of Shotgun then I would say go with Prism, but obviously I'm a bit biased 😉

However Prism is free to use. So just give it a try and if you have any questions feel free to ask here in the forum.