Join our discord community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Alembic Visibility - how to bake visibility from hierarchy?

When I export abc from Maya with Prism it only stores the visibility on the geo shapenodes. So if the visibility of the parent group is set to off, it will still be on in the abc export - which is of course very unpractical - as when rigging you always put geo into groups and subgroups and animate the visibility on those. I'm curious to hear if anyone have any tips here - maybe there's a setting in the alembic exports that takes the hierarchy into account? Thinking that it might be a good solution could be to add a checkbox to 'bake visibility from hierarchy on export' and the abc export state?

I just tested it in a simple scene with a box, which is in a hidden group. As long as the group is added to the export list in the StateManager, the visibility gets transferred to Houdini correctly.

Have you tried it with a simple test scene? Maybe your rigs have other complex features, which cause this behavior.

Yes exactly, it's a bit tricky with more complex rigs, but I guess I just have to plan around that when starting on new rigs.

If you have an example scene I would have a look. Maybe I'll have an idea how Prism could handle that.