Join our discord community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Project-specific Launcher

Hello!

I am testing Prism for usage at my small studio and it is looking to make tracking and creating shots much cleaner and easier than how we have been doing it normally.

For my request, I have searched this forum, but could not find anything related.

Since we are a small studio, and we have multiple short projects on-the-go, I am wondering if Prism could include a software launcher which establishes project-specific settings?

For example, one project we have is running with a frame-rate of 24 fps, render resolution of full HD, with Color Management Off, using VRay as its renderer, and Maya 2017 as its DCC.  Another project is at 30 fps, render res at 4K, Color Management On and Maya 2018.6 as its DCC.

I believe frame rate can be set as a per-project setting in Prism, but I cannot find any additional per-project settings.

To help with this, I was considering creating a blank "Project Scene", where all of the appropriate settings for a project could be set and saved as a default scene file to be loaded before assets are referenced in, and before work begins.  This is a very non-techie way of getting settings established in a scene, but I am a very non-techie person, so please forgive me!  😀  There is also the route of creating a .bat file to invoke software... but it would be nice if Prism could have this feature built-in.

I do realize that there are a plethora of settings needing to be able to capture for a Launcher.  But it would be great if, at least, there was an interface for non-tech people like myself to populate a startup script with appropriate settings and create software launchers specific to each project, with an additional application launcher for artists to use.

If this functionality already exists, please let me know!

Thanks!

Hi there,

Sounds like we are pretty much in the same boat, I'm also running a small studio and have the same needs pretty much. You can lock the DCC version and framerate in the project settings, but not the colormanagement ect.

I have been talking with Richard about an updated project selector. At the moment only 'recent project' is available, but that easily creates some issues if artists are opening old versions of current project and so on. So a project selector with more settings would be a huge gain for us as well. I think it is already added to the 'new features idea'-list, but good to know more people see the need for it.

An application launcher and a way to specify available projects for artists is something I will look into soon.

If you want to define some default settings for your new scenes, I would recommend to create a preset scene (like you probably already did) which you can select from the rightclick menu in the Project Browser.

If you want to force some settings whenever Maya is launched you can already do that with a Prism plugin if you know a little Python. I can help you with that, but since it's something very specific to your needs, feel free to send me a mail to contact@prism-pipeline.com