Join our discord community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Having problem submitting job through Deadline (Maya)

Hi Richard,

I'm currently unable to submit job to Deadline. Let me describe the problem with picture below.

I have submitted maya file (everything in it has been published) to Deadline but other clients can't see the scene file. When I check the dependencies like the picture that I have attached to this post, some of it like set and rig are still on my local machine. Other clients can't see it so the render is failing. However, when I check the through explorer, everything is on server drive.

I wonder if you could show me how to solve the problem? Me and my friends are using "Use additional local project folder" feature to save space for the server by the way.

Thanks Richard.

Giap.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Hey Glap,

the selected file is in a local scenefiles folder. Usually I recommend to reference only maya scenes, which were exported through the state manager, which will be saved in the "export" folder on your server instead of the local "scenefiles" folder.

I guess in your case you referenced the selected file manually in the maya reference editor and not through the state manager?

If the same file exists on your server too, you should be able to fix that by opening the maya file and in the reference editor select the reference, which points to this local scene and select "reference"->"replace reference" from the right click menu. Now you can relink the reference to the file on the server.

Hi Richard,

I actually follow every steps you have shown in your tutorial how to use Prism. I have recorded a video to describe my issue. It will be better than writing the issue in texts.

The upload is over 5MB so I uploaded the video to youtube. Please check the link below for more detail.

https://youtu.be/zwEKUDoBSg0

My current workaround is that, I import every rigs and set after the animation approved. Then, I open the maya file directly from the Server instead of through Prism to make sure the animation file was not open from local drive. This will make everything in maya file are from global and all the clients can see and render.

Thanks Richard.

Giap.

Hi Richard,

I have another workaround without import rigs and set to the maya file is that the machine that being used for setting lighting/render, it need to turn off "use additional local project folder". With that, double click to open the animation file through Browser will automatically open file from server and somehow everything in it are linked to global file (rigs + set). Now I can submit render to Deadline without any issue anymore.

I wonder if that how you would like Prism to work?

Thanks Richard.

Giap.

Hey Giap,

let me explain how the local folder works:

When the local project folder is enabled in the project settings, you will always work in scenefiles, which are on your local drive. Empty scenes are saved there and when you increment your scenefile version, it will be saved in the local folder, too. When you publish your scene in the State Manager, Prism will save your scene as a new version in your local folder and also copy it to the global folder, so that it becomes accessible for your team. However the scenefile, which you have open in Maya is still on your local drive.

When someone opens a scenefile through the Project Browser, which is in the global folder (bold type), Prism will copy that scenefile to your local folder and open it from there. This is to prevent that anyone accidentally overwrites a published scenefile.

This behavior is intended and shouldn't cause any problems. Don't get confused by the dependency viewer. The source scene has the local path, because your Maya scene was copied to your local folder and opened from there. This doesn't mean that the local is imported or referenced in your published file. It simply shows where it comes from.

Forget my previous post, it's totally fine that the source scene is from a local drive.

The important thing is the location of the maya file, which you export through the State Manager and import in your animation scene. This file should be in the global folder only and it is by default. It's fine that your maya workfile is local, but the file, which you reference in should be global. Unfortunately you don't show the full path of the referenced file in the import state in your video, but I guess it comes from the global folder and then there wouldn't be any problem in your video.

When you submit a Deadline job through Prism (it doesn't matter where the scene is saved), Prism will submit the scenefile together with the renderjob. So when you submit a local scene, this scene will be copied to the Deadline job repository and every slave should be able to access it from there. Make sure all your references in your scene come from the global folder. Use the State Manager or Maya reference editor to check that, not the dependency viewer. Then everything should work fine.

If you have any errors in the Deadline log you can post them here. Maybe they are caused by something else.

Hi Richard,

Things seem to work fine at the moment. After buying Redshift license, I will check again to see if anything happen. I will definitely let you know.

Thanks Richard.

Giap.