Join our discord community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[From a New User] - Some questions and some bugs

Richard - thank you, thank you, thank you for the work you've put in to this project. After testing, I have some questions and a few issues!

Issues:

1. [Bug] Screenshotting for a preview always crashes Maya. It lets me drag to screenshot, then hangs silently - no error, just hangs with the mouse still in crosshair mode. Then Maya quits out / crashes. [Maya 2020, latest prism version, windows 10]
  2. I finish a lookdev scene, publish scene. I animate, publish the abc. In a lighting scene, I import lookdev, then import the abc cache to 'merge' onto the geo. Works great. But if I make a change to the lookdev scene and re-export, I get a notification in lighting that I should use the new version. So I update the version and re-merge the cache. This somehow doesn't assign the material to the object? It loses the material assignment, I think, doesn't show up and must re-assign.

Questions:

1. With the referencing / importing workflow in mind (and namespaces at my heels), what's people's recommended workflow? Publish model, then import to a lookdev and rig file? Or reference in at this point? Same with lighting - reference or import? Keep namespaces on or off? I'm getting caught up in the namespace as I will have xgen needing exact names and not sure what's suggested.
  2. Textures- say I'm hoping to now take the model into substance for texturing. Where is everyone saving versioned texture files, then published texture files? How is everyone handling the save location for the substance file itself? Wondering this for zbrush too (file location).
  3. Same goes for renderer specific exports. In renderman, if I want to export a Rib file (or proxy in vray, or .ass etc) what do I need to do / where to save to make sure everything works with prism?
  4. In a lighting file, if I import the lookdev file and then re-import, I start getting quite a few nodes in the outliner of different versions that were imported(?). Should these be kept, deleted...?
  5. Just curious - is the entire pipeline written in python 2.7 with Pyside2, and bundled with Pyinstaller?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I'm terrible with pipeline and this is a lifesaver for an upcoming short. Thank you so much for all the work you've put in! You are a godsend and seriously working magic.