Join our discord community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Decoupling Comments and Usernames from file names

Hey Richard

One more thought.

Currently, the file names themselves contain the Comments and the usernames in them. This seems to sometimes make the file names very long. I say this because Prism already has a system of writing ini files for exports. Wouldn't it be better to just have ini files written for every version of the work file as well by default?

Is there a specific reason why the comments and usernames are part of the files themselves and not in an additional ini file?

Thanks!

Im hoping this would lead to a structure where every file has the format <sequence>_<Shot>_<pipelineStep>_<Category>_<version>.<ext> along with a data file which is <sequence>_<shot>_<pipelineStep>_<Category>_<version>.ini

The biggest reason for that is performance. When the user selects a shot in the Project Browser, Prism has to read the comments and usernames of all versions to display them in the scenefiles table. It's very fast to query the filesnames of for example 500 scenefiles in a folder. But it's significantly slower to open 500 text files and reading data from them. I guess in most cases you wouldn't recognize a big difference, but when you have many versions on a slow network drive, that could make a big difference.

I understand your thoughts and I'd also like to move it in a separate file. But when I make a change to Prism, it shouldn't make things worse even for a few people.

Eventually I could add this as an optional setting..

I believe this would also allow someone to add a comment to an existing file, which would be very helpful. Mayne times you need to mark a file for another team member, and there's no way to do it without saving a new version.

Decoupling comments from file names would also allow using tools like the version up and down tools in nuke and other software.

I usually have to manually drag in the latest versions after each render, especially if there are comments.

Correction. I just realized there is an "update selected read nodes" option in the prism menu in Nuke. Wow, that solves my problem. Now comments can change, and I can still version up without having to go find the footage. Thanks!

Hey Richard

I feel one way we could still decouple comments from the file name would be to include the comment and username in the name of the .ini file but not in the name of the main file itself. At least that would keep the read process fast enough while making it easier for the main work file names to stay consistent.

That could work, but it feels like a dirty workaround. I will try to expose the option to put the comment inside the config instead of the scenefilename and use multiple threads to keep the speed and interactivity nice and fast.