Join our discord community

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

installing prism to all users (windows 8 )

Hi all,

Is there a way to install prism to all users.

At the moment if I install prism on the administrator account it all runs as expected on the administrator account, but when I install it on a user account none of the app integration is present.

Many Thanks

Roger

Hey Roger,

Yes you can do that. The Prism integration is getting installed to the preferences folder for most 3d apps, which is different for every Windows user. When you execute the Prism installer it will default to the location of the preference folder from the admin account even if you are logged in as another user. In order to install the Prism integration for other users, you would have to select a different path during the installation, but you can also add it afterwards.

For that open the Prism Settings dialog, for example by executing this file: C:\Prism\Tools\PrismSettings

In the "DCC apps" tab you can add new integrations for all the 3d apps. For example for Maya go to the Maya tab and add a new integration to C:\Users\username\Documents\maya\2019

Since this path is different for every user, you would need to add a different path for every user, who wants to use Prism in Maya.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply,

I did see that as a workaround for adding the integrations. It would be great if there was a way to add the path of the integrations to a global environment so that when a user opens an app it not only looks at its local preferences and scripts but also a global version for the project, although this is just a thought. I think that any solution that enables prism integrations to work for all users by just installing prism and setting your project would be great.

Many thanks

R

Even if I put the integrations in a global folder and not directly in the Maya preference folder, I would need to tell Maya to look in the global integration folder. So there is no way around putting a file in the preferences folder of an app or into the installation folder of that app. I prefer the preferences folder over the installation folder (and I got also the feedback) because it keeps the Maya/Houdini installation clean and untouched and you don't need to execute the Prism Settings as admin to add integrations to the preferences folder.

What I could do is that the Prism installer not only detects the preferences folder of the current admin user, but instead it tries to find all the preferences folders for all Windows users on the current computer. The result should be exactly what you are looking for.

amazing...I think that would be a great addition.

Added to the feature list ([0088])