Join our discord community

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumPrism: GeneralHoudini render pipeline
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Houdini render pipeline

Hi,

So we are finally rendering our short film. It's been a steep learning curve using houdini for scene assembly and render for the first time, but now everything is starting to run smooth, and I can see that the time investement has definitively been worth it, as we can easily reuse the tools we have built.

There are just a few small things that I would love to see in Prism to ease the rendering pipieline:

1. Adding 'render with take' override in the render state. My workaround at the moment is to make one rop for each take and link each rop to a seperate render state, but it's very messy and prone to human errors. If it was included in the render state I could have just a single rop.
  2. It would be great to be able to fetch the framerange from an attribute - OR have setting to 'fetch frame range from ROP'. This makes it so that I can fetch the time range per shot from my shot manager HDA.
  3. Output as PNG. I do most of the 'comp' work (values, color etc) directly in the renderview, so I rarely need the range that exr offer. With png the image quality is still good but the filesizes are much smaller in general, which is great when doing a lot of fast comp scenes as after effects can work a lot faster which is vital when crunching out many shots a day. (I think many small studios can relate)
  4. Not directly related to Houdini, but I'll add it here anyways. It would be awesome if there was some way to set the quality for the mp4 conversion. I love how it works now for playblasts, but for quickly making a movie file out of a rendered image seq it's way too low quality - would this be possible?

Best,
    Magnus

Simple answer: Yes

All points are clear and make completely sense.

One workaround for the framerange would be to lock the frame parameters on the rop node so Prism cannot overwrite them.

I updated the feature list:

• Takes are already in the list [0015]
  • Use Rop framerange: [0091]
  • Output png is already in the list [0038]
  • Video quality: [0092]

I'm quite busy at the moment, so please don't expect all things to be ready tomorrow 🙂

Thanks a million Richard, appreciate all the work you put into Prism!